News

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

FILE - This undated handout picture released by Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) Photo: Associated Press


By MOHAMED SHARUHAAN and GIADA ZAMPANO Associated Press.
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesman.
He said the four were found “pretty much together.”
“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.
The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 meters (160 feet) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 meters (98 feet).
Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.
Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.
___
Zampano reported from Rome. Krishan Francis in Colombo, Sri Lanka contributed.

Recent Headlines

2 hours ago in Trending, World

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship docks in the Netherlands for disinfection

Fresh

The cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak has docked at the Dutch port of Rotterdam for disinfection, wrapping up a troubled journey that put international health authorities on alert.

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Barbra Streisand won’t attend Cannes Palme d’Or ceremony after a knee injury

Fresh

Barbra Streisand announced on Sunday that she will not attend the Cannes Film Festival 's closing ceremony later this week where she was to receive an honorary Palme d'Or, after sustaining a knee injury.

2 hours ago in Entertainment, Music

Ella Langley dominates the ACM Awards and Cody Johnson wins entertainer of the year

Fresh

Cody Johnson won entertainer of the year, but it was Ella Langley's night from the start. The first honor of the Academy of Country Music Awards Sunday was for the coveted song of the year, given to Langley for the crossover hit "Choosin' Texas," presented to her by Michael Bublé.

2 hours ago in Lifestyle, Trending

Summer travelers who relied on Spirit Airlines may struggle to find budget alternatives

Days after Spirit Airlines shut down in the middle of the night, a lawyer for the defunct budget carrier stood before a bankruptcy judge and apologized to the price-conscious customers who might struggle to find affordable flights in its absence.

2 days ago in Community, Entertainment, News

The Beat on Market Street returns this summer with four themed block parties in downtown Champaign

The Beat on Market Street is returning this summer with four themed block parties on the second Saturday of June, July, August, and September in downtown Champaign.