Most of us remember the workday before the Internet. After I saw a coworker at her desk playing solitaire on Facebook we joked about how Windows’ Solitaire — and Minesweeper — were the main ways we wasted time before the web.
What else did we do at work before the Internet?
• We doodled. Now instead of doodling at our desk or in meetings, we grab our smartphones and play Flappy Bird or Angry Birds.
• We avoided long distance charges at home by calling friends and family at work.
• We faxed stupid jokes and photos to people across the country. We still do that today but no trees are harmed.
• We read newspapers. How quaint. And sometimes we even played the newspaper word search or crossword puzzles.
• We did more office pranks.
What are some things you did to waste time at work before the Internet?