Washington state mudslide death toll climbs to 14

Washington state mudslide death toll climbs to 14

MUDSLIDE: A search and rescue worker rides a boat along a flooded portion of Highway 530 after returning from the massive landslide near Darrington, Washington March 24. Photo: Reuters/Jason Redmond

By Jonathan Kaminsky

ARLINGTON, Washington (Reuters) – Rescue workers searched through mucky rubble on Tuesday with hopes dwindling of finding any more survivors from among scores of people still missing from a devastating weekend mudslide in Washington state that killed at least 14.

About a dozen workers searched overnight for as many as 176 people who have been reported missing since a rain-soaked hillside collapsed on Saturday morning, swallowing dozens of homes near Oso, Snohomish County Executive John Lovick said.

Compounding the sense of urgency was a fear of flooding as water levels rose behind a crude dam of mud and rubble that had been dumped into the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River by the slide in an area along State Route 530, about 55 miles northeast of Seattle, in the Pacific Northwest state.

Authorities said they were hoping the number of people listed as missing would decline as they had perhaps been double-counted or were slow to alert family and officials of their whereabouts.

John Pennington, Snohomish County’s director of emergency management, said that after three days, the operation was shifting from a rescue operation to a recovery mission.

“I never lose faith and a lot of the people in this community will never lose faith, but there’s a realism element that’s entered in,” he told NBC’s “Today” show on Tuesday.

PHOTOS: Oso mudslide

“We have responded as well as we can, and we will continue to do that, but … we are turning that very delicate corner in the recovery operation,” Pennington said.

By early on Tuesday, rescuers failed to locate any more people in the rubble.


Search crews and volunteers were “dealing with devastation” on the ground, Pennington said, noting they cannot use heavy equipment because of the conditions and must work by hand.

President Barack Obama, who was in Europe for a meeting with world leaders, signed an emergency declaration ordering U.S. government assistance to supplement state and local relief efforts, the White House said.

The president called Washington Governor Jay Inslee on Tuesday to discuss the mudslide, Inslee’s office said. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said on Twitter, “Grateful for first responders who continue search & rescue efforts.”

More than 100 properties were hit by the mudslide. Eight people were injured.

A 22-week-old baby hurt in the slide remained in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after being taken there by helicopter along with his mother, who also was hurt, the hospital said.

A report filed to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1999 highlighting “the potential for a large catastrophic failure” was one of many warnings issued about the area where the disaster occurred, the Seattle Times newspaper reported.

The rescue effort after Saturday’s mudslide has been fraught with treacherous conditions and stalled efforts.

Quicksand-like conditions forced rescue workers to suspend their efforts at dusk on Sunday. Some workers, mired in mud up to their armpits, had to be dragged to safety.

Search crew workers were forced again to retreat briefly on Monday from the western edge of the slide area after movement was detected along a 1,500-foot (460-meter) stretch of earth.

(Additional reporting by Susan Heavey in Washington, D.C.; Writing by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle; Editing by Scott Malone, Meredith Mazzilli and Dan Grebler)

Recent Headlines

in Music

Dwight Yoakam producing music-centered comedy series


"Belles and Whistles" will follow the fortunes of an ambitious dad who moves his dysfunctional family to Nashville to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a country singer.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.

in Music

From mezcal to music, Toby Keith keeps expanding his empire


The country star doesn't just want his fans to listen to his music.

in Entertainment

‘Netflix and chill’ is going to cost you a little more


The price increase only affects new customers to the company's "standard" plan, which allows two viewers use a subscription at once.