News

Prosecutors will seek death penalty against Boston bomb suspect

Prosecutors will seek death penalty against Boston bomb suspect

BOSTON BOMBING SUSPECT: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Photo: Reuters

By David Ingram

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Accused bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should be put to death if he is found guilty of planting bombs that killed three people and wounded 264 at the Boston Marathon last year, the U.S. government’s chief prosecutor said on Thursday.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that he was authorizing trial prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who is charged with committing one of the largest attacks on U.S. soil since the September 11, 2001, attacks.

“The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision,” Holder said.

Holder faced a Friday deadline for deciding whether to seek the death penalty as part of Tsarnaev’s upcoming trial.

Prosecutors say that Tsarnaev, 20, and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan planted a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs at the race’s crowded finish line on April 15, 2013, killing three people and wounding 264.

Three nights later, the pair killed a university police officer and later engaged in a shootout with police that left Tamerlan dead, prosecutors say.

The younger Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in the worst mass-casualty attack on U.S. soil since 9/11. Justice Department officials said the nearly seven months since was necessary to evaluate fully the circumstances of the case and to gather recommendations from prosecutors advising Holder.

Holder has said he is not a proponent of the death penalty because he believes its value as a deterrent is questionable, but since becoming attorney general in 2009, he has authorized prosecutors to seek the death penalty in 36 cases, according to the Justice Department.

(Editing by Howard Goller, James Dalgleish and G Crosse)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

New Video Game Hall of Fame to reveal finalists

Fresh
arcade

The finalists for the inaugural class of the museum will be announced on Tuesday.

in Entertainment

Unauthorized ‘Full House’ story to hit the small screen

Fresh
johnstamos

The made-for-TV movie will give fans a behind-the-scenes look at what happened while the cast filmed the hit show from 1987 to 1995.

in Entertainment

‘The Osbournes’ aren’t coming back to TV

Fresh
theosbournes

VH1 was planning to revive the docu-series featuring Black Sabbath rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his eccentric family.

in Entertainment

Amy Adams set to marry this weekend

Fresh
amyadams

The "American Hustle" star has been engaged to actor Darren Le Gallo, the father of her four-year-old daughter Aviana, since 2008.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: ‘Aveggies: Age of Bon Bon’

Fresh
19-overlay6

A super villain was prepared to destroy all the healthy foods in the world, until some "Sesame Street" heroes stepped up to save the world's vegetables!