Paramount apologizes for ‘Ninja Turtle’ 9/11 tweet

Paramount apologizes for ‘Ninja Turtle’ 9/11 tweet

HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL:This photo released by ILM/Paramount Pictures shows a scene from the film, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." The movie releases in the U.S. on Aug. 8. Photo: Associated Press

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Paramount Pictures film studio apologized on Wednesday for a poster for its upcoming film “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” showing the four characters jumping down from an exploding skyscraper underscored with a Sept. 11 release date.

The poster went out in a tweet posted by the Australian Paramount Pictures Twitter account and also appeared on its official Facebook page, which has more than six million fans.

Both posts received a barrage of criticism and were deleted, though some screenshots were still being shared on social media.

“We are deeply sorry to have used that artwork for the marketing materials promoting the Sept. 11 opening in Australia,” Paramount Pictures Australia said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

“Combining that image and date was a mistake. We intended no offense and have taken immediate action to discontinue its use.”

The live-action reboot, starring Megan Fox and Johnny Knoxville and produced by “Transformers” director Michael Bay is due for release on Aug. 8 in the United States.

In Australia it will be released on Sept. 11, the thirteenth anniversary of the al Qaeda militant attacks on U.S. cities and the destruction of the World Trade Center twin towers in New York.

(Reporting by Thuy Ong; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 1


A look at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Entertainment

HOLIDAY TV: What to watch this week


This week is packed with programs to get you in the holiday spirit.

in Entertainment

Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of all-star campaign for AIDS

FILE - In this March 2, 2014 file photo, Bono arrives at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. A New York City doctor says U2 singer Bono suffered multiple fractures and had to have two surgeries after his weekend bicycle accident. Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dr. Dean Lorich says Bono underwent a five-hour surgery on his elbow in which three plates and 18 screws were inserted on Sunday night. Bono had another surgery to repair a fracture to his left pinkie on Monday. Lorich says Bono will need therapy but a full recovery is expected.

Bono is a launching an all-star campaign featuring "once-in-a-lifetime experiences" like walking the red carpet with Meryl Streep or visiting the "Game of Thrones" set.

in Entertainment

WHAT’S ON: New on Netflix, Amazon & Hulu in December


Get your remotes ready for a new round of binge-worthy movies and TV.

in Music

Joey Feek holds out hope of beating cancer


The country singer was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year and she was admitted to a hospice earlier this month to be cared for during her final days.