News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Filmmakers bet on ‘Monopoly’ movie

monopoly

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — “Monopoly” is going Hollywood. Lionsgate says it will turn the classic board game into a…

in Entertainment

18 All-American movies for Independence Day

top-gun-1986

Enjoy the holiday weekend with some classic American cinema.

in Entertainment

‘Fatal Attraction’ coming to the small screen

11-overlay1

The 1987 thriller starring Michael Douglas and Glenn Close is set to be adapted for the small screen.

in Entertainment

7 songs for your 4th of July playlist

Patriotic Music

Celebrate the 4th of July the way our founding fathers intended: with an epic playlist.

in Entertainment

Watch Channing Tatum bust a move … or 7

24-overlay2

The "Magic Mike" star knows how to get down.