News

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

BOSTON MARATHON: Photos from left, Martin Richard, 8, Lingzi Lu, a Boston University graduate student, and Krystle Campbell, 29, hang at a makeshift memorial near the finish line of the Boston Marathon explosions, which killed three and injured more than 140. Photo: Associated Press/Matt Rourke

(BOSTON) Reuters – Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, and some of the 264 people injured in the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing will attend a memorial service on the one-year anniversary of the attack, officials said on Thursday.

Officials offered few details of the event, which will be held at Boston’s Hynes Convention Center and will also feature remarks from first responders and a tribute to the three people killed by the twin homemade pressure-cooker bombs.

“We were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year’s Boston Marathon,” Patrick said. “We rose to the occasion: turning to each other, rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like.”

The blasts, which ripped through spectators, volunteers and athletes at the crowded finish line of Boston’s best-attended sporting event, prompted a week-long security flurry across the city, culminating in a day-long lockdown of the greater metropolitan area as police conducted a manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev, a 20-year-old immigrant from Russia’s restive Chechnya region, was arrested late on April 19, after he and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, shot and killed a university police officer in a hasty attempt to escape the city, authorities said.

On Wednesday, a U.S. judge ruled that the surviving Tsarnaev’s trial on charges related to the attack will begin in November. The suspect, who lived just outside Boston for the decade prior to the bombing, faces the possibility of execution if he is convicted.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; editing by Sofina Mirza-Reid)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 19

Fresh
dolly

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Music

Ray Price’s widow opens up after loss

FILE - In a Jan. 7, 2011, file photo, Country Music Hall of Fame member and Grammy Award winner Ray Price celebrates his 86th birthday by performing in Bullard Texas. Price, one of country music's most popular and influential singers and bandleaders who had more than 100 hits and was one of the last living connections to Hank Williams, died Monday, Dec. 16, 2013. He was 87.

Ray Price's widow refused to leave her house for four months in the aftermath of her husband's death.

in Entertainment

Chris Pratt thought ‘Guardians’ would be a box office flop

Guardians Of The Galaxy

The "Parks and Rec" star was very, very wrong.

in Entertainment

Sony cancels ‘The Interview’ in win for N. Korean hackers

interview

The $44 million raunchy comedy was scheduled to debut on Christmas Day.